Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011.

Winter is coming!
It is pretty cold right now and although it may warm up this week, winter is definitely coming! Wasn't General Conference amazing?!?!?! I absolutely loved it and am so excited to study the talks further when the Ensign comes out next month. Conference is pretty much as good as Christmas when you are on your mission. I looked forward to it for so long and now it has come and gone. So it goes with life :)

I had a very neat experience on Tuesday shortly after getting on a streetcar. The lady next to me was on the phone when I sat down, but after she hung up, I asked how she was. She told me to ask her around midnight. She was tired. I came to find out that she was originally from Ohio and moved here to Toronto to be closer to her daughter and grandkids. Tears filled her eyes as she told me that she knows Heavenly Father answered her prayers. She said: "I was having such a hard day and then you sat down next to me." I put my arm around her and she cried. Some of her best friends in Ohio were members so she is familiar with the Church. She then told me how she had quit drinking years ago and before I walked on the streetcar, she was looking at the liquor store wondering if she should give up and go in. She knew that me sitting down next to her was an answer to prayers and was evidence that her loving Father in Heaven cares about her! She said: "You can't see it, but I am just beaming inside!" I definitely did see it. When she got off at her stop, she was smiling from ear to ear and was excited to tell her daughter who she had met on the bus. It was a tender mercy from the Lord for me to witness that miracle. I am so grateful to be used in His hands to bless the lives of those I meet.

Sister Hodgkin and I taught a Phillipino couple last night, which was a miracle in and of itself. However, they do not want to stray from their Catholic ways. It is hard to witness people hear the truth and have the fulness of the gospel at their fingertips and yet choose to go against it. This relates to other areas of our lives. For example, in General Conference, we hear the words of the Lord that will help us for our day. The truth of what we must do to move closer to Heavenly Father is in our hands, yet how often do we choose to remain with the lesser truth that we already know? Do not be stagnant on your journey to eternal life. As many of the talks said...there is only ONE way to eternal happiness. I am so grateful for that. God would not be a very loving Father if he did not give us direct directions on how to return to Him!

You will see here a picture of the lovely breakfast I made for Sister Hodgkin and myself. I have been into making pretty breakfasts lately and feel like I'm running a bed and breakfast :) Once again, you can still be crafty and creative on your mission!!!!!


There is also a picture here of two asian women (it was in Chinatown) who look like they are dressed in white to go to the temple! Coincidence? I think not! :)


Oh yeah!!!!!! We went to the ROM (Royal Ontaio Museum) on Monday!!!!! It was really awesome but would literally take a full day to even get through. We raced around trying to see as much as we could. There are exhibits from all over the world and it was very fun.




Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week!!!!! There is so much to live for and life can be as amazing as we make it! I love you all and you are in my prayers.
Love,
Sister Barton :)

No comments:

Post a Comment