Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011.

Hello from hot, humid Burlington,
First of all, I just found out one of my best friends Hannah (went to Julliard) is getting married on July 30th and I had NO idea. This is a big deal. This is one of the hardest parts of a mission...missing weddings, babies, family, missions etc. There is no way to describe it. It's just hard. But we must push forward! It was a great week and I have a miracle story to tell in a minute. FYI: Transfers are this coming weekend and since I have no idea what is going to happen, do not send me any letters to Burlington. Just send all letters to the Brampton address. Thank you :)
First of all, Carey (apparently her name is with a C, not a K like I thought), is still getting baptized this Sunday and I am SO excited for her. She is facing some real challenges but is doing her best to endure and realizes that it is Satan trying to stop her from taking this most important step.
The miracle is that this Saturday, Andris is getting BAPTIZED!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!!!!!! We had a lesson with him last Monday, which was the first since he had been away in the USA. He started the lesson by saying "These meetings have been really great and I appreciate all you have done, but I don't want to continue these lessons...after July 23rd...because I want to be baptized!" AHH! Sister Yi and I were SO excited. A lot of this decision was because of reading "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder." Everything just sort of clicked with him and really came to know that this is the only true and living church on the earth. There is only one way to eternal happiness and it is through Christ. We are looking forward to a weekend never to forget!
We also met with a man on Wednesday morning for the first time and set him for baptism on August 14th, but now I'm not sure what is going on. He has a lot of lifestyle changes to make and it won't be easy. He has a sincere desire to be baptized but is afraid of false churches and prophets. I'm grateful he is able to discern the warnings of the Holy Ghost regarding false teachings because that is very important. But as he shows his faith by reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and coming to church, he will know that the restoration of authority and the gospel of Jesus Christ have occured, bringing us the opportunity to receive all of the saving ordinances we need for eternal life :) It truly is a "marvelous work and a wonder!"
I was reading Jacob 2 today in the Book of Mormon and in verse 16, it says "...listen unto the word of [God's] commands, and let not this pride of your hearts destroy your souls." The thoughts came to me that pride has the power to destroy our souls, but we must remember that with God, we have the power to destroy pride. Jacob also says in verse 8: "...they have come up hither to hear the pleasing word of God, the word which healeth the wounded soul." The words of God and obedience to His words truly will heal all wounds!
I have interviews with President Brower this week, which will great and we just had a member call and offer to come out with us this week, which is such a blessing. I pray that each of you have a great week and remember that you are loved! Thank you for all you do for me :)
I love you!
Sister Barton :)

No comments:

Post a Comment