Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30, 2011.



Hello from humid Burlington!
How are each of you? It was a good week here, much different than I am used to as I have been learning chinese culture and teaching english grammar :) I will just go through a little bit of my week. Sister Yi and I went grocery shopping on Wednesday and It took a few hours! She pulled out her translator to type in what she wanted to buy and then we would go find it in Walmart. Can you believe there is not ONE Asian food store in Burlington? Crazy. So there is some food she cannot find. She doesn't like cheese, so that will be a problem because many American/Canadian foods have cheese. Jill cancelled her lesson on Wednesday because she was really sick so we haven't taught her lately. We had weekly planning on Thursday, which took up most of the day. By the end of the first day together, Sister Yi and I were exhausted from trying to understand each other! Sometimes I cannot think of another way to say something after I've already said it three different ways, so I get tired haha. We met with Noel on Wednesday night and Sister Yi was amazing! She told Noel that if he has a desire, then he can be baptized! She was pretty bold and it was great! She was able to understand much of that lesson. Although she is speaking English fairly well (minus the grammar - we are working on that!), she doesn't understand anything anyone says because we all talk to fast. I talk really slowly to her so she understands me. But when we are at a door, she will introduce us and as soon as the other person says sosmething, I finish the conversation! :) I know Sister Yi will learn quickly. It just takes hard work, time, and experience. Saturday we ate dinner at a members' home where the son recently returned from his mission in Taiwan. He was able to speak to Sister Yi in mandarin. When they brought out the food, Sister Yi thought she was in heaven!!! Real chinese food! Well, I'm not sure if it was Phillipino food since that's where the family is from, but to her, it was like a taste of home. They gave her a bowl and she ate with chopsticks. It was fun to see her get so excited.
I gave a talk on missionary work in Sacrament Meeting yesterday. I am the kind of person who has my talk all planned out and I don't really add or take away from what I have written. Well, I realized in the morning that my talk didn't have any personal experiences in it. I was a little sad because I couldn't think of anything to add. A few minutes before church started, I was going over my talk and the Holy Ghost brought to my remembrance a perfect example of an experience I had that I was able to use in my talk. I was very grateful.
Andris came to church yesterday. Our lesson with him on Tuesday was pretty rough. It was great until I brought up a baptismal date. The problem is that he is thinking of being baptized by the end of the year. Well, we wanted to set him for baptism in June! I know he will be ready. He is taking the necessasry actions to prepare - reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and attending church. Of course we want Andris to be ready and to have received the spiritual witness that these things are true. We simply set a date for baptism so the investigator has something to work toward. It helps them have a vision. Heavenly Father wants all of His children to come unto Him, be converted, and be baptized so they can receive the most precious gift of the Holy Ghost to be with them always. Andris cancelled his lesson this week because something came up so we won't be meeting with him until next week. Tami also had to cancel her lesson this week due to some family difficulties so we will meet with her this coming Saturday.
I am excited to work hard this week to find new investigators and to strengthen the ward members. I hope you are all having a great Memorial Day weekend! I love you all and you are in my prayers :)
Love,
Sister Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment