Monday, August 30, 2010

August 30, 2010.

Happy Fall (almost) Everyone!
The leaves have started to change a little bit here and I hope I am still in North Bay to see all of the beautiful colors. The hills are rolling with trees and I can only imagine how amazing it will be. There are only two weeks left of this transfer and it seems so strange that I will most likely get a new companion in a couple weeks. I will be sad to leave Sis. Lavatai, but I'm excited to learn from a new sister missionary. We all have so much to teach each other.
I had District Meeting on Tuesday and it was great. The AP's (Assistants to the President) showed up and it was fun to work with them. We talked about the importance of Sacrament Meeting and the invitation to church for our investigators. We ate at King's Buffet afterward and it was delicious chinese food. That night we met with Jenn and taught her everything she needed to know before leaving for school in Ottawa. She will be back in three weeks for her BAPTISM on September 25!!!! I am SO happy for her. She has an amazing testimony and the sweetest spirit. She is beautiful. I really hope I don't get transferred because I want to be at her baptism. We taught her about many of the commandments. I am so grateful for the commandments. Helaman 14:30-31 show us that obedience makes us free!!! Verse 31 says: "[Christ] hath given unto you that ye might know good from evil, and He hath given unto you that ye might choose life or death; and ye can do good, and be restored unto that which is good, or have that which is good restored unto you; or ye can do evil, and have that which is evil restored unto you." YOU determine your destiny. If you want to have eternal joy and live with Heavenly Father again, then do what He asks and obey the commandments. They are a guide to get back to our eternal home.
At District Meeting, each companionship promised to reach the goal of teaching 20 lessons during the week. Our zone has really been struggling with this lately. By the time Friday arrived, Sis. Lavatai and I realized that we needed a miracle day in order to reach this goal. We prayed that we could teach six lessons that day, including members, our investigators, and people we met on the street. The Lord blessed us SO much and we were able to teach SEVEN lessons! It truly was a miracle. We taught four lessons to people we had never met before and were able to share our testimonies with them. I want you all to know that Father is mindful of us! He does answer our prayers, even if it is not in the way that we expect. I love prayers!
Sister Lavatai and I taught the combined Priesthood/Relief Society lesson in church yesterday. It was all about missionary work and how it is a commandment for everyone to do it. A general authority once said that "Members are full-time finders and missionaries are full-time teachers." We do not do missionary work to increase the numbers in the church. We do it because it is the only way for those individuals to receive salvation. We know the truth and it is our duty to share it! How grateful I am to be part of God's kingdom on the earth today. I KNOW it is true. I wouldn't be here for 18 LONG months if I didn't know that. If you do not know or feel you are lost, read the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart. It leads everyone to Christ as our Savior. It teaches about the Atonement, which is the only reason we are even here on this earth. Pray each day to know your purpose and to feel of God's love for you. I can promise you that as you do this, you will have the Spirit poured out upon you and will receive the blessings that God so desires to give you.
I love you all. Thank you for your influence on me. You are all amazing! Have a wonderful week!!!
Love,
Sister Barton :)
P.S. Next week is Labor Day on Monday, so I will most likely be e-mailing on Tuesday :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi to all Sister Barton's family and friends. I am a member here in North Bay and I just wanted to tell you what a great missionary Sister Barton is. It is a delight to have her serving in our Ward. She and Sister Lavatai work hard and have seen much success here. You couldn't ask for a better missionary.

    ReplyDelete